What is Scarabaeus?
Scarabaeus is a marketing tool developed by 6clickz that offers a unique way of reporting product optimisation results for Google Shopping ads. Scarabaeus connects data and metrics from Google Ads, Google Analytics and Google Merchant Center, and stores it all conveniently in Looker Studio.
The Scarabaeus Shopping Ads Data Pipeline:
What makes Scarabaeus a unique commodity?
Google Shopping Ads, specifically Performance Max Campaigns (PMax), are currently the best-performing campaign types for most eCommerce projects. The advantage of this system lies within its automation feature. Alternatively, a significant disadvantage of PMax is the inability to insert keywords. When developing PMax campaigns, we must assume that the product feed contains all relevant keywords for successful marketing. However, the dependency on PMax’s automation feature leaves us with serious challenges and concerns that require effective solutions.
Google Merchant Center permits uploading a supplemental feed that allows the modification of product title and other parameters. Implementing such modifications increases the share of impressions in a Google paid search.
As we look at the various Google platforms and their features, we must ask- how can we automate these processes? How can we evaluate them properly? How can we optimise efficiency to drive success?
Our answer is Scarabaeus.
How effective is Scarabaeus?
To optimise paid ads, utilising the Google Shopping Ads platform is key. Testing the product titles is only one part of the optimisation process. When evaluating campaign success, one must also look at the overall Google Shopping Ads revenue and compare it to the performance of other marketing channels or Google Ads campaigns.
Please consider the following examples from real-life clients:
For Client #1, we started testing product titles in the Summer of 2021. After a thorough analysis of client metrics, our team identified the performance of Google Ads campaigns as stagnating. Performing initial tests by editing Google Shopping Ads for keyword optimisation, we saw a significant sales increase compared to general search campaigns.
For Client #2, we started testing product titles in the Fall of 2021. After implementing our testing strategy, the Google Shopping Ads campaigns drastically improved by December of 2021. This test proved successful as the campaign continued to yield high results into the 2022 calendar year.
To understand the holistic impact of these tests and marketing strategies, please take a look at the case study for our client, Puravia.
Case study: Scarabaeus & Puravia
- Puravia is an e-shop providing clean nutritional supplements. All products are reviewed and selected by experts in the various fields of dietary supplements, nutrition, and pharmaceuticals.
- The original product title consisted of a “Brand | Product | Quantity” marketing structure. With this format, search results only displayed the brand to consumers. The omission of essential product information became the basis for conducting our test campaigns.
The original version of product title:
- Two products were chosen for trial testing: Probiotics and Vitamin D
- After analysing similar products, it was determined that brand words were the leading characteristic in consumer searches. As a result, the following changes were implemented:
- The title structure of Probiotics was edited to “Product | Quantity | Brand.”
- The title structure of Vitamin D was edited to “Product | Quantity,” removing the characteristic of “Brand” entirely from the campaign.
After the title change:
The Scarabaeus tool was used to gather performance metrics and develop the following data charts and tables .
- The linear chart reflects modest growth for the Probiotic campaign, represented by the CTR (red) and Impressions (yellow). The dates provided range from 15/8/2022- 27/09/22.
- The Probiotic data table highlights a boost in customer engagement, as “Impressions” increased by 20%, “Clicks” increased by 32%, and “CTR” increased by 11%.
- In the previous year’s similar date range, 6/9/2021-27/9/2021, the CTR was 0.7. Comparison with this year’s CTR=1 shows an astounding 43% increase in growth. Due to the implementation of a new campaign and positive product performance, only CTR YoY was considered in this comparison of annual yields.
- The Vitamin D linear chart highlights “CTR” values (red) as consistent, whereas “Impression” values (yellow) are increasing. The dates provided range from 15/8/2022- 27/9/2022.
- When reviewing the Vitamin D data table, “CTR” increased by a total of 10%, whereas “Impressions” and “Clicks” increased substantially.
- Last year, during a similar date range, the “CTR” on “Vitamin D” products was 0.96% and the YoY growth 15%. In a comparative analysis given the same date range, Impressions in CY 2021 were 5% higher than in CY 2022. These results may be attributed to a 13% increase in product pricing.
* When reviewing these metrics, one must consider search features and the influence of key terms and phrases. However, the performance max campaign does not make such terms visible; therefore, the influence of external search features can only be inferred.
- Utilising performance metrics to inform our decisions, the campaign strategy developed by our team elicited positive performance results. The testing of product titles has proven itself a consistent success and is worth being integrated into future campaign strategies.
What does Scarabaeus look like, and how can I use it?
The current version of Scarabaeus is divided into two parts:
- Performance of individual products
- Performance of parameters, which currently include product types, brands and custom labels
In this first video tutorial, we show you how to navigate the platform by choosing your client profile and the time periods you wish to evaluate. We then focus on gathering data by filtering out the desired brand product. This supports performance analysis in both table and linear graph formats.
The first video tutorial also provides guidance on how to analyse individual client products and review the length of performance for each specific campaign. Other features that can be analysed are what changes were made, such as product title and image editing. Within this tutorial, we chose to edit the product title and select a different image for the product in less than 30 seconds. Yes, it really can be that simple!
In addition to individual product editing, we consistently work with A/B testing product titles for larger group products. Page parameters are used that allow us to group the performance of products according to a given parameter (product type, brand or custom label). In the second video tutorial, you can see how we looked at the performance of one brand (Smidge), and how we made a simple adjustment to the product titles.
Scarabaeus was carefully developed by our team with our clients in mind. Would you like to gain a competitive advantage in your Google Ads campaigns by trying Scarabaeus (BETA) before its formal release? Leave us a message!